Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Should I be Selling Pizzas?

I want you to go to a mirror and make a mean face. Come on, now: mean face. Growl, snarl, tell me, without using words, that you mean business! Pound your chest, guys. Ladies, do one of those nasty hand gestures. Holler, scream, make me go away. OK, some of you! Great -- some, OK, and some, well, nice try.

My point is that we all have a certain level of aggression we're comfortable displaying or even mustering. No big deal. We're all different. I just read a story in the paper about a pizza delivery guy in Tampa who, when confronted with an armed robber, threw his pizzas at the guy and hauled butt. He was shot at but the guy missed. Wow! That's guts, I thought. How would I have reacted?

I'm sure I'd have coughed up the cash and played it from there. Or would I have? I really think each situation is different and our reaction could also be different in each situation.

I wish there were an easy formula that could fit all of us. Hey, you're this, so you're a pepper spray. You act like this, so here's a stun gun for you. Hmm, soccer mom, must be a Taser.

But that's not how it works.

Here's my take and what my website has to offer: First, the Paul Vunak video will teach you eight simple moves that will absolutely surprise the heck out of anyone threatening you. No weapons, no special training, no muss no fuss. I don't know why more people don't learn these simple moves.

OK, so you're a non-aggressive soul. That's fine but that doesn't mean "victim." Get a personal alarm and after you get it, make sure everyone you know knows exactly what it sounds like and to come running when they hear it. This has worked since the dawn of time.

And all points in between.

Self Defense Products work, but so do hot pizzas hurled in a fury. Pepper sprays, stun guns, Tasers, learning some simple but effective self-defense moves, all work. Being safe starts with an awareness of your surroundings and having a plan when the "boink" hits the fan. Then, choose your weapon or weapons. Get good and practice defending yourself. And hats off to the pizza man.

No comments: